Tuesday 12 November 2013

Stick grip tape mod


Another quick equipment tip I wanted to share was one you hardly ever see but is very practical, especially when switching between a strong grip and then extension when reaching out with the stick, but is also great for providing a stronger grip in the stance of the stick and rhp. As far as I know (but don't quote me on it!), it's a mod used in Holland with goalkeepers like Pinoke's starter and Jaap Stockmann using a grip like this. Or at least from what I've seen!

It's quite self explanatory in terms of taping at the top of the handle, but a diagonal criss-cross seems to work better for creating a sort of circle bump which offers a better surface area and grip for holding the stick in the hand. I used a "traction grip" made by Grays, from their international range. It's a self adhesive grip, so will stick itself on and the grip itself is non-slip and a textured design to provide getter control at the fingers when gripping the stick in a holding position.

I will be trialing it out and will hopefully feedback with thoughts when I have got used to the new style of grip. The style of grip is a lot like the ice hockey goalie trigger grip set-up, with the idea of creating a firmer grip for stick saves and use of the stick (i.e. doesn't come lose when tackling, stronger rebound control against harder shots when logging/diving etc.). I will probably do an article to go up on Obo's Keeper Resources at some point (when I have more time, which !) with a bit more detail and explanation, but the photos should hopefully give enough impression vis a vis how to and what, with a demonstration of the grip/hand positioning changes offered.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment